Tuesday, June 26, 2007

Heart Art


6 more hearts
Originally uploaded by eeeee
When I originally painted these particular heart collages, I had an Andy Warhol thing in mind. He used bright colors and simplified images. Whether he was doing soup cans, Chairman Mao, or Marilyn Monroe, he made multiple, multiple, multiple copies to display in large grids. These hearts are meant to be displayed in groups. Anything less than four probably isn’t really enough! After making and selling loads of these, I continued to explore the iconography of the heart. My favorite bits of ephemera to use include maps (who doesn't need a map into someone else's heart?), tickets (admit one...to your heart.....we need lots of tickets like that), and playing cards (anyone for the queen of hearts?), as well as my usual bits like text, dictionary pages, and bingo cards.


If you would like to see more heart art, please visit my Heart Art Set on Flickr.

No comments: