Tuesday, June 26, 2007

Funky Flowers


bingo bouquet
Originally uploaded by eeeee

The idea behind my flowers is to make something beautiful out of the oddball. The flower arrangement is such a standard fixture in traditional art, but it is so easy to make non-traditional: by putting the flowers in a Bingo card vase, or making them out of dictionary pages, or figuring out some other quirky element. They still look like flowers, but they have a whimsy to them. They have something about them that is quintessential flower, while simultaneously having something about them that is absolutely not flower. I think of my flowers as all being recycled. I think I can make anything into a flower. I can take any ordinary bit of this or that and give it a poof of the extraordinary…and then call it a flower.

If you would like to see more photos of my flower art, please click on this link to my Flower set on Flickr.

No comments: